On Sunday, March 25th, per request from a friend back home (ensuring I would have an amazing time) I headed down to Darling Harbor (in the Tombalong Park [great name, right?!?!]) to be a part of the Hindu celebration of colors, Holi. Holi also celebrates the beginning of springtime and a dawn of a new season (although down here in the Southern hemisphere were moving into winter, sadly).
It was an amazing cultural festival to view and be a part of and the reason I wanted to attend was because last year at Cornell I remember seeing lots of students come back from Holi covered in rich colors of green, purple, reds and yellows. At the Holi festival people splash themselves from head to toe with a beautiful array of rich dyes and blends to honor/celebrate the idea of colors. They also cover their friends, relatives, and willing strangers. This interest let me put aside some homework and requirements on a Sunday and I decided to give up a couple hours to expand my religious mind. Here are some pictures and a link to the wiki page:
![]() |
| Cam Nickels, Cam Nekorowski, and myself |
| Holi Celebration of Colors |
Sadly, we got there at 4:10pm and the color splashing activities had ended but that did not stop me from scooping some up and rubbing it on my face to fit in with the others. Overall, it was a cool experience and very enriching to see another religion and culture partake in such an important holiday.


So happy you went! Senior year you can go all out at the Cornell Holi Festival and I'll take you to all other Indian events to immerse you in the culture!
ReplyDelete