Sydney Skyline

Sydney Skyline

Friday, 30 March 2012

STUDY abroad

So as you can tell I have done a good amount of really fun things around Sydney and in the beach town area of Coogee, but there has also been that Study aspect of Study Abroad too. Commencing here on Week 5 of school, I can honestly say I enjoy all of my classes and really value the information I have learned thus far. The only downside is that I have seven straight hours of classes on Mondays. Yeah, that’s more than I have ever had in college and even in high school there were passing period breaks, lunch, gym and other distractions. Here it’s seven straight hours, no breaks, no nothing. I usually have to pack a sandwich and eat in on the run to the next class.
But besides that all is well with my courses and one of the reasons why I love them is because of the international culture in which they are taught. The structure of the courses is that each class has a two hour lecture and then a one hour tutorial (comically, they call it a tut). All of my classes are in the Australian School of Business and they all follow similar assessment formats. For grades, I’ll have papers, case studies, group presentations, self-assessments, midterms, team projects, final exams, and mandatory workshops.
 My first course, Managing People is taught by a female professor from Israel, followed by Career Planning and Management, also taught by a female professor from Isreal (both named Noa actually), then I have Organizational Change and Innovation, taught by a man from Austria and finally International HRM taught by a man from Korea (and who coincidentally did his Master’s Program at Cornell). All of these unique worldly ideas and perspectives really help broaden the international standpoint in my education. This is something I truly treasure and I look forward to learning about each topic a ton this semester. (continuing on the international perspective one of my groups for class consists of students from Sydney, Pakistan, Indonesia, China and me from America… talk about diversity)
International Student at UNSW
I hope to post a little more on the classroom aspect of uni but I think this is a good start…

1 comment:

  1. Haha fantastic picture! So wait your not in Australia for the beaches and film festivals and fire works? Could have fooled me haha

    ReplyDelete