Sydney Skyline

Sydney Skyline

Friday, 6 April 2012

Beach Breakdown

My Breakdown of the Beaches in Sydney:

Aside from exploring the city and heading out for some fun adventures I have made sure there is ample time for rest and relaxation…best place to do so?... the beach of course!

Manly Beach- Great surf, good waves, and lots of room to sprawl out. Sadly, it’s about an hour travel away via public transport. Even still, Manly is a great spot to relax for a couple hours and catch some rays. I was also told by a local (and confirmed in person) that Manly has gorgeous Blonde girls. The local told me also that everyone is gorgeous and model-esque at Manly (which in my mind reigns true to all of Australia).

Manly Beach


Bondi Beach- Yes, the next beach is the Famous and beautiful Bondi Beach (home to TV reality shows like Bondi Rescue and Bondi Vet). Bondi has some great waves for surfing with its location to the Pacific and an amazing Boardwalk. Along this boardwalk are tons of spray paint ‘graffiti’ paintings that are really unique. Also at Bondi is a nice skate park where children and adults aim to perfect their tricks on boards, rollerblades, or bikes.



Maddy's Photo Bondi Beach


Maroubra Beach- Maroubra is the beach south of my home in Coogee and it’s a really long stretch of beach land. Very good surf however we were warned not to surf on the north end of the beach because its territory of the well-known surfer gang, ‘The Bra Boys’. We were told by our program coordinator that they would, ‘hurt us…hurt us bad,’ so I haven’t ventured much of Maroubra Beach. Still it’s a beautiful place to soak in the Sydney summer sun.

Maroubra Beach


Coogee Beach- Finally, I have to write about my own turf…Coogee (pronounce it like the ‘double o’ is a strong, long ‘u’- so Cuuugie). I love Coogee beach, its small but not too small, the waves are big but not dangerous, and the people are always friendly and welcoming (unlike some of the other beaches). The reason why people are so inviting is because Coogee is a large backpackers’ destination, meaning a lot of people here are foreigners just stopping by for the weekend. This creates a fun, international, and laid back atmosphere that is the perfect setting for the beach. While at Coogee, I bring down my football, tennis balls, (reminds me of throwing the ball with my dad and uncles at Myrtle Beach) my Harrah’s Casino USA towel (courtesy of Grandma—Thanks!), a good book, or my ipod and headphones to help create a perfect personally beach atmosphere. This individual setting makes Coogee by far my favorite beach (that and because I live a stone throws away). The amazing Coogee Baths also add to this number one ranking. Here's the video I took on Good Friday as Coogee was packed for the Holiday.

Maddy's Photo Coogee Beach




Throughout all these beaches there are of course similarities in the people basking in the sun. Some of the commonalities I always see are everyone is physical attractive, physically fit, tattooed, laid back and generally athletic. Aussies encompass all these attributes and I am glad to live, learn, and lay out alongside of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment