Sydney Skyline

Sydney Skyline

Monday, 12 March 2012

Tropfest 2012

The next adventure I undertook in Sydney was a really fun (but sadly a rainy) afternoon in Hyde Park for the Tropfest Short Film Festival. Tropfest is billed as "The World's Largest Smallest Film festival" and we were lucky enough to get some great seats in the park. The scene at the park is basically thousands of people (around 100,000) gathering around large screens that play the 12 finalist videos for the competition. Additionally, people drink a TON of wine in the park and a bunch brought picnics.

 The films all have to adhere to a strict eight minute limit and all have to incorporate a common theme (this year's was a lightbulb). This years Tropfest was a very special one as it was the 20th anniversary of the first Tropicana Cafe Film Festival (about 100 people at the initial one) in Sydney. This special occasion brought out a star-studded panel of judges and some notable names included: Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchet, Geoffrey Rush, and other big names in the film industry. Sadly though, we were flushed out by the rain (torrential downpour) and we were not able to see the winner announced live. Regardless, I searched the winner the next day and was pleased to see a film I enjoyed win the notable film festival. Here it is- your 2012 Tropfest Film Festival Winner- Lemonade Stand:
Lemonade Stand Tropfest

Neat little video for sure.

But my favorite of them all was this uplifting dancing story!!! I'm Free to Be Me

 But needless to say, it was a great little adventure in Sydney and I'll upload some more photos to show everyone:

Tropfest

Big Screens for the Films

Skyscrapers in Sydney


1 comment:

  1. That video was awesome, exact type of stuff you love. That would have been my winner!! Very inspirational, made me feel good ya know?

    ReplyDelete