So why am I blogging?
Right now I am a 21 year old, junior at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, studying Industrial and Labor Relations. Currently, I am studying abroad and living in Sydney, Australia (Coogee, New South Wales). Here I am enrolled as an Exchange student for the summer semester at the University of New South Wales School of Organisation (yes with an 's') and Management in the Australian School of Business. I am blogging to keep friends and family across the U.S. and all over the world informed on my life as an international student/traveler in Australia.
Where did this journey begin?
I had my eye set on Australia for quite some time now, but it all matriculated in the summer of 2011 when I wanted to figure out my plans for the upcoming junior year. I found the ILR Exchange Program to UNSW as a perfect fit and decided to apply in the Fall of 2011. My application included a Statement of Purpose, a recap of previous international travel, a formal application, and two ILR faculty recommendations. I completed the application and turned it in late September and found out on October 4th that my good friend, Cam Nickels, and I were conditionally accepted into the ILR Exchange program to the University of New South Wales. That was an amazing day, where everyone I ran into that day found out immediately of my great news.
The word conditionally did give me a little scare because in order to be fully accepted into the program a couple circumstances had to be met. One of which was a specific level GPA, which I did not officially receive until January 4th (the last day to turn in first semester grades). Needless to say the first couple weeks of Winter Break leading up to January 4th, were spent with a very nervous (and admittedly, pessimistic) attitude towards this whole ‘Semester in Sydney’… But eventually I got the grade (my golden ticket) and we all were able to relax.
With the possibility of not being able to attend UNSW removed, I was able to chill a bit at home. But I definitely took advantage of my extended winter break (my break was ‘extended’ because it was summer break in Australia and classes did not start until February 27th, 2012). Some highlights of the entire break include;
-Visiting with Cousin Courtney in Pittsburgh, PA
-Picking up Elle and Ben Parks in Oxford, OH at Miami University of Ohio
-A Cornell University Men’s Basketball game vs. U of I in Champaign, IL (which they almost won)
-A Chicago Blackhawks victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on December 26th in the UC (guest appearances from Jamie Bruno and Grandma Emily)
-New Year’s celebrations in Champaign, IL
-An amazing day trip to beautiful Madison, WI to visit with Cornell friend Sam Daly
-Four amazing days spent in Joliet, IL lounging, watching movies, doing chores, and my first legal visit to a casino with my grandma
-A two week trip to visit Tulane friends and Mary in New Orleans and Mandeville, LA
-An overnight trip to the Superbowl Village in Indianapolis, IN
-Taylor Blake and Blake Curtis’ early February 21st birthdays
and Star Wars Episode I in 3D with great great friends from home
Of course amongst these hectic-looking travel escapades, I was able to spend amazing time with my parents over lunches (at UIS with mom and with dad and Secretary of State, Jesse White, at the Hilton), yoga classes, Superbowl parties, and the family meals (amazing) at home.
How lucky am I? I’ll tell ya--Very lucky and very thankful to be able to do all this with these amazing people!!
So why did I tell you all this, well as the saying goes, "you can’t really know where you’re going, until you know where you have been.” I am quoting that from one of my all-time favorite movies, Hitch- but I am sure it’s from something much more metaphysical and deep.
But then luckily, the day had come-- Saturday, February 13th the day of my flight to Sydney, Australia. My parents and I drove up from Springfield to Joliet to grab a quick bite to eat at Grandma’s Country CafĂ©. My dad and I then drove up to O’Hare International Airport to pick up and Cam. We returned later that day for our 6:10 pm flight to LAX. And after a difficult (but optimistic) goodbye to my parents, we were off.
So that’s about it…22 hours of flight time and that is how I ended up sitting here… 10,000 miles away from home… with only the Christmas-like excitement brewing inside as I embark on this chapter in my life…
Start Here
| Coogee Beach, New South Wales |
I arrived in Sydney on Monday, February 13th, 2012 and the next couple days were spent by- setting up my housing, my room, my University (‘uni’) classes, lectures, ID Cards, getting groceries, exploring the local restaurants, beaches, and of course…sleeping (to adjust to the +17 Hour time differential). Mainly, this first week was spent acclimating to a new culture, hemisphere, and continent. Also, in that first week I met a lot of my fellow Exchange neighbors in our lovely (and conveniently located) beach home at 103 Beach St. in Coogee (pic Im too lazy to go outside and take one so I took this off google maps). After that first week of settling in was over, a couple friends and I went for our first Sydney adventure.
![]() | |
| Maddy's photo- Kristin, Maddy, Me, Cam with Bugs Bunny Ears, Natasha, and Tina |
We packed up on Saturday the 18th morning and headed to Manly Beach for the Australian Open of Surfing semi-finals. We caught a bus to Circular Quay (pronounced “kee”) and then hopped on a ferry across the famous Sydney Harbour. On the 30 minute ferry ride we passed the iconic Sydney Opera House (pics). It was great catching the Opera House from the bay view and it truly is a magnificent building. We hoped off in Manly and found our way to Manly Beach (named for the ‘Manly’ physique of the Aborigines who were here when settlers first arrived in Sydney). I only took a couple pictures and videos of the surfers. Those guys could really shread some gnar (surfer guy video) we had a great day exploring the northern suburbs of this new City.
(Not all posts will be like this one I just wanted to get some photos and some writing in to get the ball rolling.) More Photos:
| View of Sydney Skyline from Uni |
| View from 103 Beach Street |
| Uni |
| Australian Open of Surfing 2012 Acknowledgements: Before I get started a ton I wanted to thank a couple people for giving me the opportunity to travel here and have this amazing adventure; Donna Ramil, (Associate Director of International Programs and Student Services in ILR) thank you for putting up with my double and triple checks of my applications for UNSW! Laura Lewis, (Frank B. Miller Director of Student Services) thank you for everything with my application and the letter of recommendation for UNSW. Thanks for everything! Lydia Fraile, (Tripartism professor) thank you for writing my letter of recommendation for UNSW. My parents, Dan and Renee Clausner, whose continual support in any Clausner venture whether domestic or international is unwavering. Not to mention the necessary financial backing you guys offer for schooling. Love you guys! My siblings, Dillon, Mary, and Elizabeth, I thank you guys for truly being the best siblings in the world. I can’t wait for Elle and (hopefully) Mary’s visits and I thank Dillon a ton for critiquing my application for UNSW in the fall. My friends and extended family! Those at home in Chatham/Springfield, in Joliet, D.C., Pittsburgh, Houston, Philly, Nola or up in Ithaca—love you all! Related Readings: First off, I want to clarify I am not a prolific writer and truly just want to help keep those interested in my life in Australia up-to-date with activities I have participated in here. If you are looking for amazingly detailed and exceptionally well-written stories of volunteer life abroad, I will direct you to my brother, Dillon, and his blog during his two-year commitment with the U.S. Peace Corps in Cambodia. I also currently subscribe to Brennan Schrade’s blog about her experience abroad studying at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. Also I read a lot of Shrutika Sachdev’s blog about her time at King’s College in London, UK in the fall semester of 2011. Both of these ladies are having or had amazing experiences abroad in Europe and their stories truly touch on all the aspects of living abroad (travel, food, daily life, school, friends, volunteering, nightlife, and of course any Cornellian’s love of …libraries) |





Wait I was not aware that you are LIVING by the beach. That is incredible!
ReplyDeleteAlso I had no idea you did Yoga! And the view from your uni is real nice!
Thanks for the link Charlie! We all have our own adventures to live; I am sure that many people will want to read about yours. Take care,
ReplyDeleteYou should give yourself more credit Chuck, the writing is perfect! It looks like an amazing start wish I could be there.. That trip to Indy was a blast eh.. Looks like a beautiful place you must undoubtably be having a blast. I'll have to check out your brothers blog too. The surfing completion must have been killer, looks like an amazing spectacle. Great start to your blog brown bear (scrubs)
ReplyDeleteWatersports such as surfing are a popular past-time for millions of people across the world. The majority of watersports are a solo affair, but HD action cameras have allowed those taking part to capture and share their aquatic adventures with friends, family and the world wide web. surfing
ReplyDelete