Aussie Slang
So as we all know from Crocodile Dundee, “Outrageous Fun”, or any Fosters commercials (which btw is incredibly hard to come by here in Australia)…Australians have great accents and some unique slang. (See Lloyd Christmas mess it up in Dumb and Dumber above)
All joking aside, I really do love the Australian accent and I routinely catch myself listening to Aussies just to hear the slanged word that come out of their mouths. Like anywhere else in the world, Australians have a certain set of slang words and additionally, they are very keen on abbreviating or shortening words (especially proper/ nouns). In my short time here, I have heard 'heaps' of these slang phrases and want to reproduce a couple of my favorites here: Enjoy Mate!
G’Day- yes a select few do actually say this
Sunnies- Sunglasses*
Heaps- a large amount*
Piece of Piss- quite simple
Pig’s arse- highly unlikely
Hoon- fast driver
Duffer- idiot
She’ll be right- All will be ok* (my Favorite)
Cheers- thanks*
Mate- friend, buddy* (used A LOT)
Slab- 24 pack of beer
Snag- sausage* (they love the sausage sizzlers here- I think I have been to 4 already)
Pash- kiss someone
Wollongong- Wolly*
St. Vincents- Vinnies*
McDonalds- Mackas*
Thongs- Flip Flops*
Ones I hear all the time in classes
They pronounce their alphabet a little weird so ‘H’ is Hach, ‘Z’ is Zed
Uni- University*
Ider- Idea*
*- I have heard these
I’ll update this when I hear more but I feel like this is a good intro to the slang and terminology used here ‘Down Unda’.
So should I expect this to be in your regular vocabulary come July mate..?
ReplyDelete